instagram

Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Brown water & Flood Insurance

I did not take a picture of the brown bathtub water but I should have. It is just one of the many complications after the fire.  A couple weeks ago while Brig was in Hong Kong, I ran bath water for Ben and noticed that water had a brown tint to it so I called the water company and they just didn't seem to concerned.  So after I noticed that the water coming out of all the faucets had the brown tint I called again and I called the line for life threatening emergencies.  At the time, I felt like it was life threatening since we had all drank the water that morning.  I was told how to flush out the pipes and told to clean the water heater and that a main line had broke in the burn area and they were cleaning out all the fire hydrants and that the water was still okay.  So I believed them.  Well the water was brown today and this time my friend gave me the phone number to call the lab at the water company.  I was told the same thing about the fire hydrants and that debris is loosened when the fire hydrants are used and cleaned in the burn area but that the water is still safe to drink but that i just looks bad.  The lady apologized for us having to be concerned for one more thing but she tried to assure me that the water is okay.  The water is BROWN it is not okay.  I was at the post office and people in line were talking about the water as we waited for our turn.  It was nice to know that I was not the only one concerned but alarming to hear how many people had the same brown water.  I tried to flush out the pipes again and it seems a little better tonight.

Flood is another post fire worry.  Our house backs up to a canal. Our house is now in a flood zone since the burned area is not able to absorb water.  We purchased our flood insurance a couple days after we returned home even before the fire was out.  Now it turns out that the flood insurance does not cover everything that we thought it covered like THE BASEMENT!  That is the part of the house that I am worried about. I guess the structure of the basement is covered but none of the contents are covered. It is so frustrating.

It rained several nights last week and Tuesday we got reverse 911 calls on the house phone and cell phones and an email and a text warning us of a flash flood.  I do not like 911 calling the house twice in a month. I made me feel all the panic all over again.  We got our Christmas and Easter boxes out of the crawlspace and other stuff that I did not think could be replaced. We brought the scrapbooks up again and had Zach move clothes, shoes and his desk drawers so they would not be ruined.  This is the email that we got.

flashfloodpreevac

7/31/12

To ksasay@msn.com
From:911notify@elpasoteller911.org
Sent:Tue 7/31/12 1:43 AM
To: ksasay@msn.com
THIS IS THE COLORADO SPRINGS POLICE DEPARTMENT WITH AN IMPORTANT MESSAGE.  A FLASH FLOOD WARNING HAS BEEN ISSUED FOR YOUR AREA.  
IF FLASH FLOODING IS OBSERVED, ACT QUICKLY. MOVE UP TO HIGHER GROUND TO ESCAPE FLOOD WATERS. THIS COULD BE A SECOND STORY IN YOUR HOME.  BE ESPECIALLY CAUTIOUS AT NIGHT WHEN IT IS HARDER TO RECOGNIZE THE DANGERS OF FLOODING.
 
KEEP CHILDREN AND OTHERS AWAY FROM STORM DRAINS AND FAST FLOWING WATER.
 
DO NOT DRIVE YOUR VEHICLE INTO AREAS WHERE THE WATER COVERS THE ROADWAY. THE WATER DEPTH MAY BE TOO GREAT TO ALLOW YOUR CAR TO CROSS SAFELY. 
THIS HAS THE POTENTIAL TO BE A DANGEROUS LIFE THREATENING SITUATION
 
Other parts of the city did flood and highway 24 had 2 mudslides but our little hill was spared. The worst part of the storm hit southeast of us so we didn't have any flooding which I am so 
grateful for.  I get worried every afternoon when I see the storm clouds.  I am grateful for the rain but I will be so relieved in a couple weeks when monsoon
season is over.  Apparently we will be in a flood zone for the next couple years.  
 

No comments: